As an integral part of the history and fabric of your community, it’s time to make plans to safely welcome customers back to your dining room. We invite you to prepare for your reopening with the ServSafe Dining Commitment, a multi-million-dollar program aiming to reassure customers that the restaurants they love are open, trained in new sanitation and safety procedures, and committed to the health and enjoyment of their diners.
Restaurants Who Make the Commitment:
- Adhere to the National Restaurant Association Reopening Guidance in addition to the guidance of Federal and State regulatory bodies
- Train staff on core food safety procedures as well as supplemental COVID-19 precautions.
All Restaurants Who Join the ServSafe Dining Commitment Will Recieve:
- A coupon code for 20% discount on select ServSafe products
- Access to ServSafe’s library of food safety posters
- Their location added to our searchable database for the dining public
- A digital marketing kit to promote their safety commitment
The ServSafe Dinning Commitment also communicates to potential diners the steps they should take to protect staff, other patrons, and themselves while dining via our diner information site, ServSafeDining.org.
Ready to commit? Take the next step in welcoming diners back and make the commitment.
Quote from Daily Memphian: “Restaurants will be ordered to close at 10 p.m. in the latest Shelby County health directive, Alisa Haushalter, Shelby County Health Department director, said during Tuesday’s press briefing. Haushalter later clarified that bars within restaurants can still serve food.”
Daily Memphian article here
Quote from Fox13 article: ”
- Close bars again effective tomorrow at midnight (The directive specifically states “Any changes between this Directive and Directive No. 7 shall take effect Wednesday, July 8, 2020, at 12:00 pm” which indicates noon on Wednesday, July 8.). Bars that are housed inside a restaurant will still be able to serve food.
- Restaurants will have to close at 10 p.m. effective at midnight tomorrow.”
Fox13 article is here
We expect the health directive to be posted today on the Shelby County Health Department website here. (As of the time of this email, we didn’t see a link to Directive 8 directly from the above website.)
Link to Health Directive 8. This is a direct link to the Directive.
Our understanding of this ordinance:
Serving food at your bar is still allowed (as long as seating parties 6 feet apart). Someone “camping out” at your bar for hours, watching TV, without ordering food, is not allowed.
Standing service at the bar is still not allowed.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee Governor Bill Lee, Lt. Gov. Randy McNally, House Speaker Cameron Sexton, and the Financial Stimulus Accountability Group announced a new relief program for Tennessee businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Tennessee Business Relief Program will direct approximately $200 million in federal Coronavirus Relief Funds through the Department of Revenue directly to small businesses that qualify.
The Tennessee Business Relief Program amounts awarded will be based on the annual gross sales of the business. More details will be posted on the Department of Revenue’s website in the coming days.
Restaurants are small businesses that are eligible under the program.
Full press release is here.
FAQs are here.
Tennessee businesses that were closed via Executive Order are encouraged to update their mailing addresses by logging into TNTAP here.
On Thursday, May 28 the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bipartisan bill fixing the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP).
The Paycheck Protection Flexibility Act passed by a vote of 417-1.
The Paycheck Protection Flexibility Act makes desperately-needed improvements in the program that are important to our industry, including:
- 24-week covered period (instead of 8)
- 60/40 split (instead of 75/25)
- Loan forgiveness still applies if FTEs won’t come back, or if revenue in December is below Feb 2020 levels.
- Five-year loan-repayment terms for future PPP loans
- Payroll tax deferment restored
More details on the bill can be found HERE.
The biggest challenge is pressing the Senate that passing this bill needs to happen soon before it becomes a moot point for many PPP loan holders.
Our Senators need to hear from you now to pass this bill, fix the PPP, and preserve America’s hospitality and tourism industry.
Email your senators here now.
Free COVID-19 Testing Event, hosted by Church Health and St. Michael’s Catholic Church
Friday, May 29, 2020, 3-7 p.m.
3863 Summer Ave, Memphis, TN 38122
- Bilingual Church Health staff will facilitate testing and help participants through the process.
- All individuals tested will receive food from Mid-South Food Bank.
- No appointment needed, but it’s highly encouraged to pre-register to reduce wait times: (901) 272-0003
- Testing is available for anyone (symptomatic and asymptomatic)
- Please bring an ID and contact information to check-in and receive follow up instructions.
- Residency and citizenship verification are not required
We know of the following companies offering online-ordering systems, apps, platforms, and more. Some integrate with delivery. Some have curbside functionality, etc. We encourage you to reach out to your current POS provider, as implementing any new systems will likely integrate best with if you add-on to the platform you already have.
We encourage you to look into the following features:
- Your menu should be online everywhere, your website, Facebook, and links on any other social media you use
- Consider offering online ordering (the easier the better)
- Consider features that allow your customers to let you know when they are outside – either an app, or post a phone number sign on the parking place so your customer can call you and they don’t have to come inside
- If you offer delivery (either by you or a third party) make it very clear on your website and social media.
Everything But The Food (MRA Member)
Everything But the Food sells a POS system that already includes an option for online ordering. This month they introduced a new feature called the “I’m Ready” service. It allows guests to check-in curbside. They can put in their name, type of vehicle, and parking spot number. Within seconds of check-in on their mobile device, a ticket prints in the restaurant with the customer’s name and car information, so that they can bring the food out quickly and not inundate the restaurant with phone calls.
You can read more about “I’m Ready” In this article
As a special for MRA Members, EBTF is offering this for the special price of $25 for setup, no monthly fee until September 2020, and no contract.
Aloha Hospitality Control Solutions (MRA Member)
Hospitality Control Solutions is offering a Food On The Fly quick start program for Aloha Online Ordering. This solution is designed to quickly implement a website that offers your customers the option to order online (web and mobile browsers). This fast option includes the ability to manage phone-in and web orders from the same place in Aloha allowing business owners more options to easily accept orders. All menu programming is done locally by our tech team of restaurant veterans so you can expect the fastest turn around possible. Please contact Caitlin and she will quickly respond to get you up and running.
Email Caitlin Moore here, 901-581-0515.
We look forward to taking care of you.
Toast Now is a one-stop-shop built to give restaurants the ability to quickly set up digital ordering channels like online ordering, to help keep their doors open and continue to have revenue coming in. This offering has no upfront cost, no POS purchase required, and no commission fees. All they need is WiFi and a web browser!
Here is how local restaurants are using Square’s platform to help their business during this time:
- Online ordering – Online ordering and ordering integrations with 3rd party delivery services (Chowly, Postmates, etc.) to help expand your business operations to every way a buyer wants to interact with your business
- Square online store – Start a free online store with Square
- Square marketing – Reach your customers to share updates on your business
- E-Giftcards -Ability to sell eGift cards and market them through Square Marketing
- Sell anywhere -Take a payment with Virtual Terminal, Invoices, online etc.